Sunday, March 13, 2011

Making a Chess Move

I was pondering the considerations that one should make when deciding which move to play. What I did was write the first things that came to my mind. Some of these are similar to each other and just about all apply to both White and Black. When making a move, often we look at which move is best for us, but we should equally consider which move is worst for the opponent (often the two are the same). I'll add to these thoughts if I think of more and if you, the reader, can think of any add them in the comments below. Remember this is in no particular order, just random thoughts. Let's start.

1. What is the weakest piece for you? Your opponent?
2. What is the strongest piece for you? Your opponent?
3. Do you have control over the light/dark squares? Your opponent?
4. Do the bishops have open diagonals or will they be able to achieve this later on? Your opponent?
5. Are the opponent's doubled pawns blocked so that the weaknesses are permanent? Can they be blocked? What about your own?
6. Are the rooks connected? Can they be? Are they on open files, on the 7th rank, or behind pawns? How many squares do they have behind the pawns (on the files)? What about the opponent's rooks?
7. What is the opponent's plan? What is my plan? How can I continue with my plan and stop my opponent's?
8. What are the tactical aspects of the game for both me and my opponent? 
9. Do I have space? Does my opponent?10. Am I exchanging my bad pieces for my opponent's good pieces?
11. Do I have control of the center? Does my opponent?
12. Do I have the initiative? Does my opponent? Can I gain or stop my opponent's initiative?
13. Does my queen control many squares? My opponent's queen?
14. Is my king safe? Is my opponent's?
15. Is my pawn structure solid? Is my opponent's? Can I improve my pawn structure? Can I weaken my opponent's?
16. Are there sacrifices, checkmates, ways of winning material for me or my opponent?
17. Which move weakens my opponent's position most and at the same time, strengthens mine the most?
18. Are my knights well placed? Can they be attacked? Are they on outposts? Are their moves stopped by the opponent's pieces? What about the opponent's pieces?
19. Does an exchange strengthen my position? Does it strengthen my opponent's position?
20. Am I trying to keep my bishop pair by thinking ahead?
21. Am I comfortable in the position.
22. Are there any of the opponent's move that need to be calculated? Any of mine?
23. Do I have a plan? Can I improve my position? My opponent?
24. Am I thinking long term (and short term of course)? Is my opponent?
25. Are my moves predictable? Are my opponent's?
26. Is the position complicated or simple?
27. Am I playing my opponent as if they are the perfect opponent, regardless of their strength/rating?
28. Am I playing actively? Is my opponent?
29. Am I keeping my opponent's bad pieces bad (and not taking them with my own for an exchange)? My opponent?
30. Have I developed before attacking? My opponent?
31. Am I taking advantage of my strengths and advantages? Am I being patient about it? My opponent?
32. Have I really developed? What constitutes development (generally)? In my opinion:
a. At least one pawn in center or controlling (attacking) the center.
b. Developed knights, they must have control over squares of some importance. Their movement must not be stopped by the opponent's pieces (controlling their landing squares).
c. Bishops on open diagonals OR diagonals which will open up in the middle game.
d. Rooks on open files or files which will/could open up. Connected rooks.
e. Queen on a safe square and control or potential control (after pieces move out of the way) of many squares.
f. Castle and safe king.

No comments:

Post a Comment